Strong, healthy teeth are essential for a beautiful smile. They help us chew and speak. When you have missing teeth, these everyday activities become more difficult. Fortunately, dental implants can help replace missing teeth. Your Norwich dentist Dr. Edward Yates can help you restore your smile through various methods, including dental implants. How do dental implants work? Read on to learn about them and how dentists use them to help their patients.
What are Dental Implants?
- Dental implants are metal posts that are replacements for tooth roots.
- They provide a strong foundation for removable or permanent teeth that are designed to look exactly like your natural teeth.
What are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
- Over time, dental implants fuse with the bone, allowing them to become permanent teeth.
- Traditional dentures may slide around, making chewing difficult. Dental implants act like your natural teeth so you can eat the foods you enjoy.
- Dental implants boost your self-esteem. When your teeth are healthy and you have an attractive smile, you feel better about yourself.
How are Dental Implants Placed?
Dental implants are placed in stages. In some cases, the doctor may need to perform a bone grafting procedure. They will then insert the implants in the jawbone under the gum line.
Next, the dentist sends you home so that your jaw can heal once again. When you return to the dentist, they attache the piece that screws into the implant. This piece is called the abutment.
Finally, the dentist places the false tooth on top of the implant. This process can take several months because it's important for your jawbone to bond with the implant. Dr. Yates can determine if dental implants are right for you.
When you have missing teeth, it affects your appearance, your smile and your self-esteem. While dentures are an option for some patients, others may be candidates for dental implants. Dental implants are a smart solution for those who no longer want to deal with dentures. They are the closest thing you can get to natural teeth. They look, feel and work just like normal teeth.
Visit Dr. Edward Yates, your Norwich dentist for a consultation to determine if you are a candidate for this procedure. Call 860-889-6445 to set up your appointment.